Family Visas

If you wish to reside in the UK with family members who already live in the UK , then you can apply for a family visa, where the UK relative or spouse sponsors your application.

There are two main ways of applying for a family visa, you can apply to ‘join’ or apply to ‘remain’ with your family. The differences being, if you are outside of the UK then you apply to ‘join to live with your family in the UK’, however if you are already in the UK then you apply to ‘remain in the UK with your family.’

Family visas are usually obtained when you are connected to a UK resident as:

  • Spouse or a partner
  • Parent
  • Child
  • Widowed
  • Separated spouse or partner
  • Requiring long-term care

For instance, if your partner dies and was a permanent resident (they had indefinite leave to remain) in the UK, you can apply as a dependent, on the basis that is how you acquired your visa. You can also include your children who are under 18 (if applicable to you) as dependents.

There are some exceptions for these rules to apply and accordingly it is better to seek advice from a qualified immigration solicitor.

Call one of our immigration solicitors for assistance with your case.