A spouse visa is required if you wish to enter and stay with your partner in the UK for more than 6 months. Various rules and conditions apply in order to qualify and be granted a visa under this category:

  • Both need to be over 18 years of age.
  • Your spouse must be a British Citizen or have settlement status in the UK.
  • Marriage must be legally registered and be recognized in the UK.
  • Your spouse must meet the financial requirements set by the Home Office – £18600 p.a. If you have non-British or non-EEA children that you would like to bring to the UK, then your partner should be earning an extra £3800 for the first child and and extra £2400 for every subsequent child. There are various ways to meet this requirement.
  • You will also need to have an approved English Qualification (degree recognized by the UK or a CEFR level A1 in English speaking and listening). Exemptions to this requirement are: children under 18 years of age, adults over 65 years of age, those requiring care by a relative in the UK and those who have physical or medical conditions which prevent them from meeting this requirement.
  • Accommodation in the UK – your partner should provide evidence that he can easily maintain you without there being any overcrowding.